24 February 2012

NO. 106 A FIRST

When you have a friend for a long time, you can't help but go through many of the "firsts" in your life together -- the first day of high school, your first car, then your first accident, first college class, your first college dorm, the first thing in college you probably shouldn't do, but you do with them, your first apartment and first job, first time you meet someone you want to spend the rest of your life with and marry, the ups and downs of the first year of marriage, and then the first baby. Just like that, in the blink of an eye, this person has been there...and I am lucky enough to have a best friend who couldn't live life any other way than to be right there during all the big and little moments of my life. 

When we had Hadley, she got in the car at a late hour of night and drove to be with us in the hospital. As the nurse was insisting that I get some rest after my epidural, we heard a "knock, knock - it's Reba" on the door just at midnight. The nurse rolled her eyes and let her in and we proceeded to talk about over the pre-jitter nerves that come with being in my position. She has a "you get what you see" personality that is calming and direct at the same time. She went back to our place that night, climbed into bed with my sister and was up a few hours later holding our new baby girl for the first time. 

And now she has her first baby - Andrew "Drew" Jennings and what a looker he is. I can't put into words what their family has meant to me over all these years. It will be a joy to watch all of the new firsts that come with this stage a life. And I also look forward to new firsts with Drew - was thinking this morning that I would love for him to come to Camp Charleston {Heuber style} in the summer when he is of age... 



And since I am talking about firsts, this one got her first haircut. By first, I mean first one by someone trained in the field. I have been known to do a little snip-snip in the bathtub from time to time, but on a whim one day when it was just her and I, we pulled in to shape up her hairdo. I don't know how you can be proud in those moments, but I was. Her eyes tell me so much and yet she sat still and went through the process -- and when it was over, she was one quite proud herself to show off her new look!








And this little one, just needed a little head shot of him too!

1 comment:

  1. Klug! So sweet....made me teary! I cannot wait for Drew to do Charleston with the Heubers! We are going to be down for the Bridge run but i'm not running.....and we are staying on Dewees Island.....field trip for Hadley & Burns should be in order! Love you and your little ones!

    ReplyDelete