30 December 2011

NO. 102 HORSES AND BUGGIES...

My grandfather would tell me as a child that "if you take piano lessons, I will buy you a horse." He was a man that could be trusted at his word, but oddly enough, I laughed his offer off. Over time, he gave me a western saddle, bridle & reins ... perhaps as a tease. As much fun as a horse would have been, to be able to play piano now would be even better. Lesson learned: sometimes we think we know what we want when in fact the greatest gift would be to do what we don't want to do at the time.

On one recent trip to Pinehurst, we stopped by the horse track to show Hadley where I use to ride. The old barn that I rode out of is now used for machine storage and the ring that I learned to jump in was still there, but was oh-so tiny. But the place as a whole is as classic as it gets in my mind - dirt roads that connect all the old white barns with green roofs. 

Who knows if she will like to ride, but I would be more than happy to find myself back in a barn someday soon...





No comments:

Post a Comment